Salary? Benefits? Probation length?

This is the only section of forums that is accessable to the public. All the other forums are "locked." Access to further forums becomes immediately available upon registering.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

Salary? Benefits? Probation length?

Postby GokuSS4 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:26 pm

Hi all,

Have passed stage 1 and will be attending stage 2 in April but one thing I noticed is that its not very clear on the net on exactly what the wages are and the benefits and what the probation length is.
I live in East London and went through the Metropolitan Careers website but could not find the information I was looking for.

Just as well me browsing I came across this site and my eyes lit up, hopefully the questions that I have can be covered by you guys (I use the term 'guys' towards both male and female) in here :)

Oh and lastly what is the difference between Essex police and Metropolitan Police?? :?

Thanks all!
Xbox Live gamer!
GokuSS4
Registered Member
Registered Member

Style: prosilver

Re: Salary? Benefits? Probation length?

Postby falkor » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:06 pm

hiya pally

can't help you much I'm afraid

but pdf 10 on this page shows the PCSO salaries from 2006 - if that's any good - WELCOME TO THE SITE BTW :mrgreen:
falkor
Navigator
Navigator

Alignment: 'Xevious'

Postby GokuSS4 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:40 pm

Cool that gives me an idea should be at least £20k or more then for 2008 which is good, read somewhere I think on here probation was 6months again thats good if true as I know Police Officer's probation is 1yr?
Xbox Live gamer!
GokuSS4
Registered Member
Registered Member

Postby JMGPannal » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:41 pm

Hi

Met PCSOs basic salary is £18,873

On top is a location allowance of either £1,623 or 3,000ish

Then there is a shift allowance of 12.5%, 15% or 20% depending on what shifts you do (this depends on your borough).

Probabtion for PCSOs is 1 year.

Jon
Met PCSO: 21/02/08 - 23/05/10
PC: 24/05/2010 - Onwards
JMGPannal
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Member No: 3815

Postby GokuSS4 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:55 am

Ah ok, am on £20k at the moment where I work infront of a desk, sick of it to be honest and want to do something more meaningful but if including allowance I get around £20k a year then thats excellent if not then all is not lost I will work hard and do more hours :)

Other question is after stage 2 if you pass and pass the background checks etc do you then get offered the job? Or is there more to it?

Also after 1yr probation can you then apply for the Met Police?
Xbox Live gamer!
GokuSS4
Registered Member
Registered Member

Postby DANGEROUS TIGER » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:53 pm

Hi Goku and welcome to the site, and well done on becoming a PCSO. You will find the role challenging in the best possible way, and much better than sitting behind a desk. Good luck to you.
LIVE WELL, DIE WELL
DANGEROUS TIGER
Committee Member
Committee Member

Member No: 1725

Postby GokuSS4 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:55 pm

DANGEROUS TIGER wrote:Hi Goku and welcome to the site, and well done on becoming a PCSO. You will find the role challenging in the best possible way, and much better than sitting behind a desk. Good luck to you.

:oops: oooh dear am sorry I have yet to do my stage 2 test am not a PSCO not yet I hope to be able to become one :oops:

Just have many questions thats all :oops:
Xbox Live gamer!
GokuSS4
Registered Member
Registered Member

Postby JMGPannal » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:55 pm

GokuSS4 wrote:Ah ok, am on £20k at the moment where I work infront of a desk, sick of it to be honest and want to do something more meaningful but if including allowance I get around £20k a year then thats excellent if not then all is not lost I will work hard and do more hours :)

Other question is after stage 2 if you pass and pass the background checks etc do you then get offered the job? Or is there more to it?

Also after 1yr probation can you then apply for the Met Police?

Once vetting is complete you have to wait ages for a training date, after this point they then ask for references so theoretically the job offer is conditional until the point you walk in on your first day.

They also say that in theory your job offer is only confirmed after you complete your probabtionary year, at this point you can apply to join Met regs.

Jon
JMGPannal
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Postby GokuSS4 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:34 am

Hi guys just thought would give an update :-D

Done stage 2 and was introduced to a new job offering for SPCSO's instead of PCSO and it sounds interesting, went for an interview for the role and passed yay!

So now just waiting on vetting and a letter for me to confirm that I want the role :-)

Still hoping salary is about what I am getting as looking to get my own place on a share scheme and want to hope it all works out and stuff.
Xbox Live gamer!
GokuSS4
Registered Member
Registered Member

Re: SPCSO instead of PCSO?

Postby falkor » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:35 pm

SPCSO instead of PCSO?

:arrow: there is a whole topic on SPCSOs just on it's own, right here

Goku what are you doing presently? Hope the vetting goes okay for ya!! :mrgreen:
falkor
Navigator
Navigator

Alignment: 'Xevious'

Re: SPCSO instead of PCSO?

Postby GokuSS4 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:17 pm

falkor wrote:SPCSO instead of PCSO?

:arrow: there is a whole topic on SPCSOs just on it's own, right here

Goku what are you doing presently? Hope the vetting goes okay for ya!! :mrgreen:

Hiya, well working in an office in a shipping company on £20k a year, looking for my own place at the same time and worked everything out and well just need to make sure everthing goes smoothly and according to plan if my earnings drop I could be in big doo doo :-(

So now just waiting I guess...Was advised 6weeks foundation PCSO training then later on 2weeks SPCSO training.
Xbox Live gamer!
GokuSS4
Registered Member
Registered Member

Postby JMGPannal » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:58 pm

Just so you know, SPCSOs are in post for a minimum of 2 years before they can move on. PCSOs can move on after 1 year.

Jon
JMGPannal
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

SPCSO

Postby RICK » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:55 am

JUST TO LET YOU KNOW THAT IM AN SPCSO AND I HATE IT ITS A VERY BORING AND LONG WINDED JOB.I WANT TO BE OUT ON THE STREETS AND BE MORE PROACTIVE THIS OFFICE JOB ITS NOT FOR ME BUT I HAVE NO CHOICE IN THE MATTER AND I HAVE TO WAIT FOR 2 YEARS BEFORE I CAN MOVE.

YOU ARE IN THE FRONT OFFICE AND EVERYONE FORGETS ABOUT YOU SO FORGET LOOKING FORWARD TO A BREAK ITS GO GO GO FROM THE TIME YOU GET IN AND IF YOU ARE LUCKY YOU MIGHT GET 5 MINS FOR A FAG BREAK.THE TRAINING THAT YOU GET AT HENDON IS FOR THE PCSO ROLE THEN YOU DO 3 MONTHS ON BOROUGH PATROL THEN YOU GO TO SIDCUP IN KENT FOR 3 WEEKS FOR YOUR SPCSO TRAINING,PASS THAT AND GET GIVEN 2 CERTIFICATES 1 FOR THE COURSE AND THE OTHER FOR INVESTIGATION SKILLS.WITH ALL THIS TRAINING YOU STILL ARE NOT PREPARIED FOR THE FRONT OFFICE WHAT YOU REALLY NEED TO KNOW IS THE COMPUTER SYSTEM WHEN MAKING REPORTS AND GUESS WHAT PUTTING ON REPORTS ON THE MET SYSTEM IS NOT INCLUDED IN YOU TRAINING AT SIDCUP AS THEY ONLY HAVE 2 OR THREE COMPUTERS BETWEEN ABOUT A 14 FLOOR BUILDING SO YOU CAN IMAGINE HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE THERE.

YOU DO GET MORE MONEY AS AN SPCSO AS YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO WORK NIGHTS OR A 12 HOUR SHIFT DEPENDING ON YOUR BOROUGH.
RICK

Postby THFC » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:00 am

Why do you need "Investigation skills" as a SPCSO?

And why are you shouting?
THFC
Banned Member

Member No: 828

Postby RICK » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:51 am

because you are expected to investigate what where when who , when reporting a crime on the front desk.the reason im angry because the role is a 2 year probation and the fast track system has been cancelled that was promised to me to become a pc in 1 year.i was trickeded into doing this role and now i have to wait for 2 years if i had known before i would have never taken this post.

Any further question then pls write sorry for the moaning its still a job hey
RICK

Next

Return to Site problems/ comments